Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Sappy Love and Mush

Remember last post, when I said that if I had something on my mind, I had to get it out? While this thing is very happy, I need to get it down because I feel like I will explode if I don't share it.

I've just been really thankful today. The usual Devil-Amongst-Coworkers was being her usual devilish self. Things were just going really poopy. One thing after another was driving everyone crazy, and I was about to throw my hands up and give up on the prospect of having a remotely decent day.

I was thankful for Spencer. Even though he was at work, busy with other things, he still used his free time to send me sympathy-sorries (No one likes to hear rants about someone else's bad coworkers. This meant a lot to me).  And I know this is silly, but my phone has emoticons (old school), whereas his doesn't. Yet, instead of the <3 that has invaded the cyber world, he saved the code for the emoticon heart (on his phone looks like ('\/') or something crazy), and will send that in a text message. An emoticon just for me, because 'less than three' doesn't give it justice. It may seem small, but it makes me smile oh-so big, every time.



I also went on an extra special lunch errand. Sonic for Happy Hour, then Taco Bell. I forgot that the high school was out, so this had such treacherous potential to ruin a perfectly planned lunch. However, yesterday I had set my iTouch to Amy Grant's Christmas album. The Christmas spirit engulfed me, and not even the countless high school kids that darted in front of me, the long lines, nor the unexpected construction at my only exit could get my spirits down. That, my friends, is the true meaning of Christmas. Everything about the season is about giving and receiving and feeling lovey dovey, sure. However, it goes deeper than that. It's about love, forgiveness, and most of all charity. What is charity? "The pure love of Christ," and everything that entails. I was so filled with this spirit, that I did not curse these kids, I did not wish death upon the person that ordered the construction, nor turned up my nose at long lines. All I could think about were the people around me and their needs, as opposed to my own. I could go on and on but I have one more point I want to get down.

Romance novels, of the clean persuasion. I love reading love stories. I never thought I would, but I get so connected and involved with the main character! They turn into my temporary-novelized-best-friend that I would love nothing more than to just sit and listen to all day. Please tell me about your problems! Please tell me what happened when he took you out to dinner! And when I need a break, I can shut them like a book (hehe pun) and pick it up again later where I left off (this is a really twisted pun). No feelings hurt!

I got to thinking why, though. Most people read romance novels to escape the messed up world where romance is nonexistant. I realized, though, I wasn't trying to fall in love with the main character's love interest. I wasn't living vicariously through the main character. I was living with her. I wish I could spend all day with Spencer. Who doesn't feel that way about the one they love? And I've found that reading romance novels at work, it's like he's there. Every sweet thing the man in the book does for our heroine, it reminds me of the sweet thing that Spencer did for me just the day before. I'm so thankful to be in love with a man that I can spend eternity with and not have a shadow of a doubt that he is my other half, the one who was made specifically for me, and I for him.

 This post was extremely scatterbrained, I'm sure, but I think I've relieved my need to share with the world how lucky I am and how thankful I am. I'm also thankful for this outlet, one that I can say whatever I darn-well please, and can make as many grammatical and spelling mistakes as I can stand. Haf a grate dai?  ;)

No comments: